Not So Boring Basics
Posted on October 01 2012
Up until recently I didn't really think much about basics.
I had basics in my wardrobe, but I never really made them my favourite pieces. I had a style epiphany when I realized that truly stylish people have beautiful, well-made basics and then they add some 'stand out' pieces to these basics for the 'wow' factor.
The alternative is to stock your closet with all basics and become blasé or the opposite end of the spectrum, stock only trends or 'stand out' pieces and look like a train wreck.
Here are Betty's Top Ten Basics:
1. The Crisp White Blouse: This essential style is a must-have to balance the trendiness of denim right now. You can pull off bright jeans, patterned skirts and the textured skinnies like coated denim when you have a tailored white blouse to anchor these unique styles. This one from Betty Be Good Boutique is called Susan's Pick Up Sleeve Blouse $45.50.
2. The Layering Top: If you have a special blazer or jacket, you'll want to layer it up with a basic grey top like this one. Even the most fussy looking blazer can be toned down on the weekends with a nice basic tee like this one. Tuck this top into a higher waisted pencil skirt or throw it on with your coated denim to bring a casual look to an edgy trend. Lani's Loose Top $28.50.
3. The Oversized Tee: An oversized tee is easy to wear, but make sure the sleeves are fitted and that it's made of a lycra blend that hugs your body and shows off your shape even when it's not tight. This basic will bring stability to your funky leggings. Go bright, go patterned, but don't mix bright leggings and a bright top unless you want to look like your three year old. Mini's Little Pocket Top $29.50.
4. The Striped Top/Tunic: Possibly the only patterned basic, stripes are a wonderful way to add a spicy basic to your wardrobe. I just discovered the joy of stripes and I am addicted. Especially to extra soft, two toned grey tunic with pockets. Tamara's Striped Tunic $39.50.
5. The Trench or Pea Coat: In terms of outerwear, the trench and the pea coat have you covered. These two styles are classic and they pair nicely with casual jeans and fancy trousers. This military style pea coat is now available from Betty Be Good in a gorgeous olive colour. It features beautiful vegan leather accents on the collar and belt with distinctive buttons double breasted down the front.
6. The Styled Blazer: Super cute and oh so practical, this piece can dress up or down, just pair it together with your coloured denim and a basic layering top and you're good to go! This blazer shown has a unique oversized collar and it's coming soon to Betty Be Good.
7. The Pencil Skirt: Believe or not, but most body shapes can pull off a pencil skirt. When it hits right above the knee, it's the perfect length. Tuck in your loose chiffon and silk blouses for a romantic tailored look or try adding a casual heather grey tee and a cardigan if you're trying or for a casual look. Betty Be Good has this luscious pencil skirt coming soon!
8. The Skinny Jean or Pant: Once considered a trend, the skinny pant is becoming a new basic of fashion. The skinny pant makes Betty's top ten list because it looks so cute with the oversized tees and flowy blouses that are trending right now. These mid-rise skinnies are a perfect fit on everyone because they "say no to muffin top" and they have a super dark rinse that creates the illusion of a slimmer bottom. Sofia's Dark Skinny Jeans on sale for $45.50.
9. The Wrap: A unique wrap is the most versatile item you will ever have in your closet. Betty's sweater wrap is six different styles in one; it's a shrug, a vest, a capelete, a scarf and a shawl. Samantha's Six Ways To Sunday Wrap is available in three neutral colours: Chocolate, Smoke & Cappucino for only $37.50.
10. The Boyfriend Cardi: This sweater style can be belted or left open and oversized. It's super cute with jeans, trousers or belted over a dress. Isabella's Boyfriend Cardi is from Betty Be Good Boutique $42.50.